The stately and large Gatot Soebroto Army Central Hospital (RSPAD) and is the highest referral hospital for TNI hospitals throughout the archipelago, was built by the Dutch Government in October 1936 under the name "Groot Militair Hospitaal Weltevreden".
This hospital was built to treat sick Dutch soldiers, especially those injured in battles against freedom fighters (Paderi War, Diponegoro War and so on).
This hospital has a lot to do in the world of health / medicine. In the Hospital's Laboratory, Doctor C. Eykman discovered Vitamin B, and from this Hospital also stood the Inlandsche Geneeskundigen voor School (Javanese Medical School) in 1851 which 9 years later was upgraded to School tot Opleiding van Inlandsche Artsen (Indigenous Doctor Education School) and is known by the abbreviation STOVIA.
Similarly, during the Japanese occupation for 3½ years, under the Japanese Army the name of the Hospital was changed to "Rikugun Biyoin" with the main task of providing health services to the Dai Nipon Army.
After Japan surrendered unconditionally to the Allied Forces, the Hospital was returned under Militaire Geneeskunde Dienst (KNIL Health Service) under the name Legeer Hospital Batavia. And after recognition of Indonesian sovereignty handed over to the Army and changed its name to the Central Army Hospital (RSTP) which in the course of history has changed its name and is now known as the Presidential Hospital of the Gatot Soebroto Army Hospital.